Surf the Americas with us and discover fun peaky beach breaks, rocky outcrops and river mouths while you receive expert coaching in pure paradise.
Northern Nicaragua has fantastic waves and we trek jungle tracks, jump in 4 x 4 cruisers and clamber aboard boats to discover the best waves during this epic surfing holiday.
We don’t just book your surfing holiday
Experience tailor-made surf coaching fit for the pros
We’ve been cultivating our surf coaching techniques for more than twenty years at The English Surf School – The UK’s biggest surf coaching provider. We’re privileged to coach over 8,000 surfers every year so we instinctively recognise the types of teaching that work best for each individual. Our courses are also crafted by British Surf Team coach, Rob Barber, who’s represented our country at numerous international events. Surfing ace and ISA Level 2 instructor Jorrin Massingham also has stacks of experience, of both surfing and surf coaching, having worked in surf schools across the world from Sri Lanka to The Dominican Republic. You’re in excellent hands.
Reside with us in a remarkable sanctuary of calm at our tropical surf lodgings. With hammocks overlooking the Pacific, comfy en-suite rooms, a yoga studio and a self-serve bar for spirited evenings, there’s little more you could possibly need. The serene atmosphere makes our Nicaraguan surfing holidays truly memorable.
Your surf trip week includes:
- Our welcome meeting involves familiarising ourselves with your surfing ability. We also chat about your surfing ambitions to create goals for the week.
- We coach you every morning and afternoon, heading out up to three or four times a day, the week’s itinerary is flexible as we’re at the mercy of the earth’s swell conditions.
- You’ll receive two surf development presentations that tackle problematic issues and we disclose surfing secrets so your performance improves fast.
- We coach you while duck diving, popping up, paddling out, selecting waves and turning.
- You can attend sessions that help perfect specific moves, using pre-surf videos to study turns and techniques.
- Every evening we review video footage of your surfing (when conditions have been right) and give constructive feedback to help you improve your technique.
- We also give you free video footage to take home for further self-improvement (land and Go Pro in-water material).
We undertake daily surfaris to find the best waves with the option of surfing from first light. After which we either relax on the beach or have a bite at the surf lodge. We also head out for afternoon and evening sessions which often wrap up under impressive sunsets.
It’s not necessary to attend all of these surf sessions though, it’s your surf trip – you choose the level of intensity.
Beaches and waves
Across from our surf camp is a mellow beach break with no dangerous rocks or crowds. It’s a small and playful sandy beach break.
Stretch your legs a little and walk a brief way down a jungle path which reveals a peaky beach break at the start of a mile-long beach. It has so many peaks you can surf completely solo, the middle section is best. For top quality barrels go a little further along, for about twelve minutes – you won’t regret it. Use footwear on the beach though as the sand gets pretty toasty!
Ten minutes from the surf lodge is an island that has a running left-hand point. This offers fun, rippable walls and the occasional barrel. To get there we hop on a boat and marvel at the beauty of Nicaragua’s verdant coastline. We also take land cruisers out, up and down the coast, to discover and surf fun beach breaks, peaky shories, rocky outcrops and river mouths.
The scenery here is truly mesmerising with plenty of uncrowded surf spots from which to choose. Warm water barrels are predominantly in abundance on this extraordinary stretch of coastline.
January is dry season so the heat is tropical but not unbearable or sticky. The coastal breeze can be fresh at times in the morning but rash vests, board shorts, bikinis and flip flops form everyday attire.
Other fun stuff to do
Around midday the wind sometimes turns onshore so the waves aren’t always at their best during this short period. A lot of surfers choose to relax and head for a hammock with a good read. Others prefer to have a dip in the surf lodge pool or stretch and unwind at a peaceful yoga session.
You can also do the following:
- Paddle Boarding (stand up)
- Snorkelling or fishing
- Trekking the nearby area
- Volcano boarding or hiking
- Yoga sessions
- Visit the city of Leon
Some of these activities may incur costs.
How to bag your place
Check out flight prices and availability then email or give us a call. We’ll let you know if we still have spaces as they book up quickly. We’ll then email you an information pack form and further details about the trip.